Splatoon: Game info
Splatoon is one of the more unique multiplayer games to hit the Nintendo Wii U in recent years - Splatoon 2 is also available on the newer Nintendo Switch system.
Players are tasked with running around and splashing paint all over the city - and enemy team members. Online, players can take part in 4v4 'turf wars', with the team that paints the town the most in their own colour wins.
There are a host of different weapons, from paint guns to rollers, and the team-based gameplay makes the title ripe for competitive matches.
The 3+ age rating and paint-focused gameplay makes this a shooter that's ideal for children and families to try out.
While the eSports tournaments in Splatoon aren't like the competitions in big established eSports titles (there's a lack of prize money in Splatoon for one), it's paved the way for an eSports future from Nintendo. The company recently produced a trailer for its upcoming Switch console that featured Splatoon players in a live tournament environment, hinting at more competitive play in the future.
Splatter enemies and claim your turf as the ink-spewing,
squid-like characters called Inklings in Nintendo’s new third-person
action shooter game for the Wii U console. Challenge your friends in
chaotic four-on-four matches, in which the goal is to get your ink on as
many places as possible and claim your turf, all while strategically
submerging yourself in your team’s colors and blasting your enemies. This
is a colorful and chaotic online third-person action shooter – exclusively
on Wii U.
• Team up and take on other teams in an action-filled battle to cover the level with as much ink as possible. Spray walls to access hard-to-reach areas.
• Covering more territory with ink unlocks powered-up super weapons that can be used to attack rivals or cover more turf.
• Strategy is everything. Defeat enemies to splatter them in an explosion of ink, covering more turf for your team. But choose wisely: Players who only go after the enemy might find their turf redecorated in their enemies’ colors.
• Refill ink tanks, hide from opponents or move faster by turning into a squid and diving into the ink with the tap of a button.
• Select between multiple control options on the Wii U GamePad controller, including using gyroscopic controls to look around, allowing for better aiming and control.
• Hop online and battle in four-on-four matches.
Wii U, Switch
Typical game length: 3mins
Genre: Shooter (with paint)
Price: Around £25
Notable tournaments: Splatoon Showdown Series, Great British Splat-Off (no cash prizes)
4.5m+ sales as of September 2016Twitch: Outside the top
50 most watched games in October 2016
Launched: May 2015
PEGI age rating: 7
Other Pegi info: Non realistic looking violence towards fantasy characters, violence that is set in a cartoon, slapstick or child like setting that could be upsetting to very young children